As part of a discussion about scientism (which rapidly became a general discussion about evidences for the existence of God) a request was made for a discussion on Abiogenesis, or the origin of life. As it is one of my favorite subjects, which I have touched on previously, I am glad to comply. I will make a simple argument based on our current understanding of the subject.
As an evidence for the existence of a creator or designer, an argument for the origin life would be as follows:
1. Life’s most fundamental component, a living cell, is composed of information system driven molecular machinery.
2. There is according to all current observations only one known cause or means by which information systems and their associated machinery can originally come into existence – that is through the activity of an intelligent agent.
3. Thus far, all scientific observations and experiments have failed to demonstrate that unguided causes can produce information system driven machinery. In addition the existence of cellular machinery regularly originating in natural circumstances or in other environments or planets has never been observed.
4. Thus it is reasonable to conclude that an intelligent agent is responsible for the origin of life.
5. As sufficient intelligence is required, and as the necessary parameters for a living system are required, it is reasonable to associate the existence of life with the existence of our planet and its associated star system. As these objects are associated with the existence of the universe itself, all arguments for the existence of a creator of the universe can be inferred.
6. These statements can be readily falsified by the demonstrated existence of information system driven molecular machinery observed to arise from wholly materialistic unguided forces.